I am working with an organist developing a controller using MidiDesigner Pro (MDP) for the Hauptwerk (HW) Virtual Pipe Organ (VPO) computer application. MDP only has White and Black Button Labels (text). Described here is an approach to create Red letters for buttons. It could be usable in other applications. The approach is a bit complicated and it would be better if MDP Button Labels had LED color control much like the color text for Labels (hint, hint).
Background: Organs typically will have labeled Stops and pistons (see Image 1). While most of the labels are typically black, some labels are red. Therefore the MDP layout should have red letters to represent the organ.
What is presented here is an approach to clear the button Label, create Label controls with the desired text and set their LED color to red (#2). Then overlay the red label over the blank button. This works quite well in Play Mode.
Some observations (see image 2):
- The page, panel (if used), and button LED color needs to be light. Notice Trumpet 8 in a dark background under the PEDAL. The top 4 PEDAL buttons were lightened so the red letters are readable whether the button is on or off.
- Using a more desirable multiline label has several problems:
- The text is either too large (see the Posaune 16 multiline label not in a button with label size 2) or too small.
- The font is not bold and not very readable in an organ environment (compare to the clarity of the Posaune 16 single line font in the button).
- Using individual labels require having to create 2 or 3 separate labels representing each line.
- Overlaying and centering each line requires turning Snap to Grid Off in Config-Options.
- When selecting a button in Design Mode to make a change, the button moves to the top above the red letters (see Trumpet 16 under GREAT). When finished, you need to go to Control-Actions and select Send to Back.
- Clicking on a button to edit its properties is difficult since the labels overlay on top and not carefully clicking a button may select a label.
- Fortunately, there is no problem in Play Mode if configured properly.