While building a deluxe midicontroller for the boss katana I'm trying to realize a 7-step stepper supercontrol.
Things to know:
- the Boss Katana amp has 3 FX sections, controlled on the amp with 3 small buttons that light up Green-Red-Yellow or OFF; Every FX section has 3 effect slots, hence the colors. There are 8 memory presets (including amp simulation), each preset includes 3 FX sections and each FX section includes 3 effect slots (Green-red-yellow) so that gives 3x3x8 (72) combinations in storable presets.
Example: preset 1 contains a clean fender amp and 3 FX turned on. Each FX has three colors, 3 slots for a different effect. So FX1 green has a tube screamer overdrive, FX2 Green a chorus and FX3 Green a reverb. When pressing FX2 button it turns red and selects a univibe effect.
- each FX section is split in 2 modules: for example FX1 has a booster (overdrive/distortion) and Mod (modulation, 36 sorts).
- CC 16 (0-127) toggles FX1 section on/off, CC 43 selects Boost (0-63) or MOD (63-127), CC 46 selects color green (0), red (1), Yellow (2)
Goal is a 7- step button that does:
1. OFF (CC 16 shuts off/on FX1 section)
2. FX1BOOSTER GREEN ( CC16 -127 FX1 ON, CC 46 - 0 Green, BOOSTER = CC 43 - 0 and toggle button jumps to page booster at right page)
3. FX1MOD GREEN(CC16 -127 FX1 ON, CC 46 - 0, Green MOD = CC 43 - 127 and Toggle button jumps to page mod at right page)
4. FX1BOOSTER RED (CC16 -127 FX1 ON, CC 46 - 1 Red, BOOSTER = CC 43 - 0 and toggle button jumps to page booster at right page)
5 FX1MOD RED (CC16 -127 FX1 ON, CC 46 - 1 Red, MOD = CC 43 - 127 and toggle button jumps to page mod at right page)
6 FX1BOOSTER YELLOW (CC16 -127 FX1 ON, CC 46 - 2 Yellow, BOOSTER = CC 43 - 0 and toggle button jumps to page booster at right page)
7 FX1MOD (CC16 -127 FX1 ON, CC 46 - 2 Yellow, MOD = CC 43 - 127 and toggle button jumps to page mod at right page)
- I have a functioning toggle button that selects the Booster page and Mod page for when selecting this;
- I have stacked 3 colored buttons (Green-Red-Yellow) that are now being selected with a preset knob, when colors are selected they come on top of the stacked buttons (bring up command);
- I have a stepper momentary button on top of the stack that controls the preset knob (variable control);
- at the bottom of the stack I have a fx1 toggle button that controls on/off CC 16 (FX1 section)
Question: somehow the presets are not getting stored adequately. I turn off the recall button (toggle mode), store each preset step with the store button, then turn on recall but the results are not predictable yet and sometime I see color red on midi designer while the amp shows Yellow.
My expectation of an answer: I do not expect that this is solved but please give advice in which sort of procedures or which way of thinking and organizing the controls I should follow. The Toggle button for 2 momentary 'jump to pages' buttons proves to be succesful, I can store that adequately in the sequence.
The colors and syncing with the amp need to be worked out, I notice that FX1 needs 2 toggle presses to be turned off at the end of the sequence.
Thanks in advance,