MIDI Target Manufacturer(s):
Have an Roland MKS-80 and don't want to buy an overprized Roland MPG-80 controller? Or already have an MPG-80 and you are not satisfied with its laggy MIDI resolution. This layout for the Roland MKS-80 brings the following features:
- Much faster MIDI resolution than the MPG-80
- Simultaneous access to the upper and lower tone and patch without the need to switch between these areas via the buttons on the MKS-80
- Parameter feedback from MKS-80 to MD. If you change a patch or tone on the MKS, this layout will automatically update to all the current parameters (so you see what you got). You can also change patches remotely from this layout. If you enable the "Auto Sync" option (on the Patch page), the MKS-80 will automatically sync all the current parameter values back to the layout (requires the MKS-80 MIDI Out to be connected to a MD MIDI input)
- XY-Macro-Controls - controls both the upper and lower tone simultaneously
- Set your MKS-80 to MIDI Fuction III on the front panel of the MKS
- Choose the same MIDI channel for your MKS-80 and this layout (MIDI Channel knob can be found on the Patch page)
- If you want to use the parameter feedback (see above):
- Connect the MIDI Output of the MKS-80 with a MIDI Input port in MIDI Designer. If you route the MIDI Output through your computer, please be careful to not create any MIDI feedback loop. The Roland MKS-80 duplicates most MIDI data from its input to the output!
- Set the memory area switch of your MKS-80 to "INT" (parameter feedback does not work with patches stored on a memory cartridge)
- Enable the "Auto Sync" option on the Patch page
- When you change a patch via the patch control (at the top middle of this layout), always wait until the Sync progress shows "READY". Depending on the structure of the current patch the syncing could take a few seconds to complete.
- It is expected that the MKS-80 shows "SAVING" during Auto Sync. Auto Sync is implemented by requesting sysex memory dumps from the MKS, which is why the MKS shows "SAVING". Auto Sync should complete within a few seconds. If your MKS-80 ever "hangs" in the "SAVING" state, please press the Memory Write button on your MKS panel to abort the memory bulk dump.
- Note: Parameter feedback is much faster when you change patches via the bank and patch number buttons on the front panel of the MKS-80 (in that case no memory dump has to be sent).
- Fix for MIDI Channels other than 1. Compatibility with Roland MPG-80 programmer. Auto Sync support for external received program changes. Further performance optimization for Auto Sync.
- Performance optimization and minor layout changes
- Initial version