Released on Thursday 14 November 2019, the alpha release of the 6,9 MB layout controlling the Boss Katana mk1 fw 3.01 wireless!
- your Boss Katana MK1 (original) Katana, firmware 3.01;
- your (old) iPad air (or up);
- a raspberry pi 3B+ with the image for bluetooth midi streaming installed, https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html , take the easy route and write the downloaded image to your mIcro SD;
- fully working version of midi designer pro 2 app, the engine of the layout;
- set in config menu “Supercontrols Send Own Values” ON (blue)
attached are foto's and video's.
Info (under construction)
The Boss Katana MKI amp, introduced September 2016 https://www.boss.info/us/whats_new/press_releases/2016/BOSS-INTRODUCES-NEW-KATANA-AMP-LINEUP/ , is a great sounding and affordable amp and it became very popular in the following years. A month ago (oct 2019) the follow up mark II was introduced.
The Katana can be programmed with the BOSS Tone Studio (BTS) software but you'll need an USB cable and a laptop or tablet. The challenge became the sending and receiving of midi data which was not possible out of the box without laptop and BTS. The amp sounded great but also seemed a Pandora's box. At VGuitar (and other) forums members started to discuss the possibilities to get further access to the inner workings of this midi controllable amp. Experienced members managed to retrieve the sysex to control the amp's parameters, resulting in Mac and Windows programs and Android apps.
IOS users, however, did not get a break until the primova midx-20 and now this wireless variation which makes it possible to sculpture sound wireless, away from the amp, which can come in pretty handy.
Features of this iPad layout:
- all relevant sysex parameters (550+) implemented;
- AMP, BOOST, MOD (37 effects), DELAY 1, FX(39) effects, DELAY 2, REVERB sections, EQ and NOISEGATE;
- a solid wireless midi (!) solution in combination with a raspberry 3B+ and a pre-installed bluetooth midi streaming service https://neuma.studio/rpi-as-midi-host.html - use the easy manual, download the image and write it to a micro SD card and connect your Katana amp to the Raspberry PI 3B+;
- a highly transparent display of the inner status of the amp on each screen;
- a design geared towards FAST tone sculpture in rehearsal rooms, live performance or studio.
About the layout:
* its status is Alpha which means it has a lot of functionality but still a lot of flaws. After months of designing it became necessary to publish it to a selected group to test drive it: feedback becomes necessary after months of work with an incidental sneak peak;
* it Syncs! Big time when pressing buttons if connected to the amp. The top row buttons lead to the separate sections, the K1-K8 buttons activate the Katana presets. Change programs with these buttons. Top right you see 2 red lights, it means it syncs with the amp;
* FX ON/OFF buttons speak for them selves;
* Midi program changes 1-8 are used, the panel program change should be 0 or 9, you can change this in Boss Tone Studio;
* Saving is not yet implemented but this is just a matter of time. So: save presets with the hardware amp buttons;
* MOD/FX are fully implemented. There are separate pages for Graphic EQ and Harmonist for MOD and FX. The Katana does not like every suggestion the layout does. Some FX are summoned by the layout and the amp shuts up. Choose another MOD effect or FX effect then or select another preset to reclaim sound;
* first knob of MOD/FX does not have specifications yet. For example: when selecting limiter the first knob defines the type and goes to 6. Next up will be a specification of the different values of the first knob;
* Compressor sometimes makes sound disappear.