Ok, I know there's already been a great TR Rack panel uploaded here a while back. I tried this and although I loved using it, it didn't implement many sysex calls, (no effects editing) and I found the workflow a little limited. So, I decided to redesign one, consider this an updated version to an already great original.
Anyone whos edited a TR Rack knows the interface sucks. This panel lets you change every variable for programing sounds via Sysex. I have designed over 90 different effects sections, I almost ran out of tabs in MD2 and I must admit the file is on the "large" side. I have also included a Drumkit editor, although this is one small limitation that is caused by MD2 not being able to send more than 2 variables (L and V) per Sysex call (I needed 3), so it only edits DrumKit 00.
This is a beta version and needs testing, I haven't found many problems, however I will highlight some instructions/notes on how it works.
- Throttle Midi All controls must be throttled (vintage) as the korg TR series was notorious for crashing with high baud rates (if you don't believe me, disable a controls vintage setting and go the James Dean! Unlike poor james you can reboot the trinity)
- Effects Selection Ok this is a little confusing as I cant fully control the UI but if you understand how the TR/Trinity effects work you'll be fine. Basically with Insert effects you can only have four stages running at a time, each effect can have one, two or four stages, but as MD2 cant receive sysex I cant display UI to show "which" effects are running or disabled from over use on another. Read the Korg manual, you have to understand the synth a little to use this.
- Effects Editing There are two Master effects units and 3 Insert in the Korg TR. Many of the master effects cant be interchanged with insert as they are different (more verb related). You'll notice a slide bar down the bottom of each effect page. Make sure you have it on Insert 1, 2 or 3 with Inserts effect and with the master effects either on Master 1 or 2. Its complicated, but basically I kind've had to modify the "Channel" control to make each control in the effects setting work on 5 different stages, insert 1 2 3 or Master 1 or 2. The slider simply selects which effect the control will work on, be sure to change it when editing but you'll obviously hear no change of its set wrong.
- The Drum Kit editor only works on Kit 00. As with the korg, you have to be in Global mode to edit kits, so make sure you set a program to kit 00 , save it, then, while still on that program number, go to global, and you can start to change each notes drum sound, the big slider is king basically, it selects which samples will change on each note. If you need to edit a kits filters etc simply go to voice one and select Drums from the voice select, some controls don't work in this mode, but they dont on the korg interface either.
- Writing, you can save sounds instantly, be careful with this, set the Bank control to Write Off, this disables its ability to write. The picker control selects a program number but also FIRES a sysex write command back to the Korg. Because the Picker is controlled by the Bank Select knob (channel supercontrol L), it sets the sysex bank number value to 99 (there are only four), which is invalid, basically making every write command fail. Now, with the picker on the correct number, select the bank number, then hit the Write button (simply fires the picker). Set the Bank number back to Write Off to disable all accidental write button presses etc.
- Make sure the Korg Sysex Rec is ON in the global midi settings.
- Selecting Effects. On the FX1,2 page, hit the button of the effect you are using/have selected, this takes you to the effects editing page, change the effect slider to the whichever effect number you are editing, and edit. To go back, hit the Home button down the bottom to return you back to the menu.
- Oh, the Devito Tab, its from the movie "Twins", all the "left over shit" went in him!