MIDI Designer Resources: Help
The single definitive reference for MIDI Designer. [ The MIDI Designer Manual and User Reference Guide ]
Where To Ask Questions About MIDI Designer
Introduction: Getting To Know MIDI Designer
This is a guide through what’s available on MIDI Designer right now. If you have a question, check the Q&A site. If your question isn’t there, please share it by placing it there. Try to make it as universal as possible, so that others may also benefit. If it’s an epic question, it’ll get promoted to this guide. Note: This page is a living document (i.e., under construction). It will be getting better and more organized as time goes by.
- Getting Connected Start Page
- Getting Connected OSX
- Getting Connected Windows
- Hardware Options
- 2012-07, Tutorial: Virtual MIDI in MIDI Designer
The in-App tutorial is always there at config → actions → show tutorial
The definitive document on Supercontrols (a work in progress). What would supercontrols do?
2012-12, Tutorial: MIDI Designer and Maschine
2012-12, Getting Connected: Ad-hoc Connect and MIDI over Wi-Fi
This covers everything, but you might also check out the earlier video on connecting via Wi-Fi
2012-11, MIDI Designer Drumpads (Explanation)
Not quite a tutorial, but definitely not a demo. Shows some specifics of drumpads in MIDI Designer.
2012-10, Crossfader Overlap
2012-08, Steppers: Up and Down Buttons
2012-07, Multiple MIDI Messages
This is currently a bit kludgey in MIDI Designer, but help is coming soon.
2012-04, Emoji For Your Labels
Shows how to put pictures, icons, and other graphics in your controls.
2012-03, Channel Changer Feature Explained
Tutorial with YouTube video.
2012-03, Button Groups Feature Explained
Tutorial with YouTube video.
2012-01, Basic Tutorial
One of the earliest MIDI Designer tutorials, covers a little bit of everything: making controls, getting connected, mapping to Ableton. Look is old, but instructions are still valid.
- 2013-05-23, Hidden Controls in Performance (new in 1.5.1)
- 2013-05-23, Article on New Keyboard Shapes in 1.5.1
- 2013-05-23, Article on Control Copies (changed in 1.5.1)
- 2013-05-23, Article on Named Ticks (new in 1.5.1)
- 2013-03-04, Article on Piano Keys in 1.5
- 2013-03-04, Article on Layering in 1.5
- 2013-03-04, Article on Always-Lit Buttons in 1.5
- 2013-03-04, Article on Drumpads (since 1.4.2)
- 2013-03-04, Video on Global Presets in 1.5
2012-10, MIDI Designer 1.4.0, 2 of 2 (iPhone/iPod touch)
Demo video. Shows Extra CC & Hold and Acclerometer.
2012-10, MIDI Designer 1.4.0, 1 of 2 (iPad)
Demo video. Shows Make Similar, Snap to Default Value, Super- and subcontrols and Crossfader Overlap.
2012-07, MIDI Designer 1.3.7 New Features
Shows Buttons Reverse on Slide, Send On Release Only, Snap to Default and Snap to Value.
2012-06, Feature Focus: Snap to Default
2012-03, Feature Video: Extra CC & Hold
2012-03, Feature Video: Channel Changers
2012-02, Design Your Perfect MIDI Controller
Marketing and demo video. Demonstrates these features: Extra CC & Hold, Reset on Button Off, Supercontrols, and Cross-fader Pieces.
See also: Cross-fader Overlap and Features of MIDI Designer 1.3.5 and 1.3.6, not too sexy
MIDI Designer Release Flyers
- MIDI Designer 1.7.0, 29 Updates Later, We’re Ready for Winter
- MIDI Designer 1.6.1, Blasting Off
- MIDI Designer 1.5.1, Raising the Barrier, Again
- MIDI Designer 1.5.0, The Best MIDI Controller: Better
- MIDI Designer 1.4.2, Faster and More Flexible: The MIDI Controller Revolution Continues
- MIDI Designer 1.4.0, The Perfect iPad MIDI Controller Isn’t Just for iPad Anymore
- MIDI Designer 1.3.7 Released: Lessons From Light
- MIDI Designer 1.3.5: Your Perfect MIDI Controller Just Got a Bit More Perfect
Full Change Log
The Change Log, which contains information about all versions, is located here.